Just before Christmas Google gave us a scary gift of rolling out the biggest broad core update for this calendar year. As per industry stalwarts, the December update is the biggest update. With rank brain technology of google, the objective of the google search is inclined towards understanding the search intent.
December 2020 Core Update in a nutshell
- Roll out date: 03 December 2020
- Roll out complete date: 17 December 2020
- Roll Out Geography: Global
- Update Type: Broad Core
Key Takeaways from the December 2020 core update
- Keyword Ranking Shift between 10% – 75% on -ve and +ve both
- If negatively impacted, then improve the context of the content
- Volatility was much higher compared to May 2020 core update
- Monitor the rankings and keep a close eye on different pages and its positions
Criticism of the update
As usual, there is a lot of chatter in the SEO community and we have seen a lot of members reporting that they have lost more than 30% – 40% of organic traffic and people who have gained traffic is more than 100%. Even the timing of the update has been criticised as the update is executed before the holiday season and this might impact businesses if they are negatively impacted.